The “Polymer-based photonic components and large-area organic-photonics” technology platform supports researchers in fabricating of polymer micro- and nanophotonic foils, surfaces, components and devices at low cost. It delivers expertise and technological assistance to prototype micro-optical, micro-fluidic, opto-mechanical and opto-electronic components, polymer waveguides and interconnects, large area functionalized surfaces with optical features or a combination thereof.
Research activities on organic as well as hybrid organic-inorganic perovskite optoelectronic devices, polymer-based photodetectors (OPD) and light-emitting diodes (OLED) can be supported as well. The compatibility of wafer-scale (up to 300 mm) fabricated polymer components with Si-CMOS foundry facilities and the availability of large area hybrid/ heterogeneous integration techniques enable exploiting the full power of Si-nano-electronics and nano-photonics technology.
The large area printing and coating expertise and techniques such as roll-to-roll lamination, imprinting, inkjet printing or slotdie coating pave the way towards the fabrication of organic and hybrid organic-inorganic light emitting diodes (OLED) photovoltaics (OPVs) and flexible displays. Optical components can be processed to feature high aspect ratio structures, absolute free-form shapes as well as optical quality, nano-structured surface finish. Laser-ablation and printing techniques allow studying surface functionalization.
Furthermore, researchers can have hands-on practice to replicate devices at pre-production level quantities in an endless variety of highly-functional polymers, such as biodegradable, biocompatible, recyclable, self-cleaning, spectrally converting, stretchable, and flexible plastics.
The available know-how, expertise, technology and equipment allows addressing R&D needs to create new prototypes and demonstrators in a broad range of application fields including but not limited to:
- automation (optical sensing systems, wireless remote monitoring sensors),
- information technology (micro-displays, micro cameras and projectors, data storage, scanners, printers, copiers),
- optical data communication (components for Fibre-to-the-Home, optical interconnect systems),
- renewable energy and lighting (organic LEDs and solar cells, imprinted optical surfaces),
- home automation and security systems (IR-remote control, proximity sensors, optical fingerprint sensors, retinal scanners),
- automotive (night vision safety systems and high bit rate datacom systems),
- biotechnology (bio-chips, micro-fluidic chips, and/or lab-on-a chip), and
- biomedicine (minimally-invasive and point-of-care diagnostics, treatment monitoring, retinal implants, personal medication).
Contact us to support your innovation project
If you have already a concrete project in mind you would like to discuss with ACTPHAST, register your intrest as a researcher or a company.
Do you have an open question?